Merry Christmas from our Staff to You!
Christmas is upon us! The cool days, shorter periods of daylight, and chilly nights call for something simple for dinner. Soup is a favorite meal in my house during the fall or winter – for me, because it is simple to prepare, and for my husband, because it is filling and can be eaten year-round! I enjoy making soup since there are so many different combinations of meat, veggies, and seasonings. Nearly all of them are a one-pot meal. I especially like the fact that I can make many of them in the slow cooker. This allows me to start them before heading to work, and dinner is ready when I get home!
Chili usually gets a high rating. There are many ways you can spruce up canned chili, or make your own from scratch. Below is a recipe using pork – delicious, simple, and filling! Give it a try!
Slow Cooker Pork Chili
- 2 pounds boneless pork roast
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ cup salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) low sodium pinto beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium diced tomatoes
- Trim visible fat from pork. Cut into 2-inch chunks. Place in slow cooker.
- Add pepper, onion, and salsa.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours or high setting for 3 hours.
- Pull the meat apart into shreds with a fork. (You should have about 4 cups.)
- Put half (2 cups) of the shredded pork in the refrigerator or freezer. (This could be used for a shredded pork sandwich.) Freeze pork if it will not be used within 4 days.
- Return the rest of the pork to the slow cooker and add pinto beans and diced tomatoes.
- Cook another 30 minutes until hot.
This recipe serves 6 (1 ¼ cup per serving).
I want to wish each of you a Merry Christmas! This time of year is wonderful for many, sad for some, and difficult for others, but we can all find joy if we put our heart and mind in the proper perspective. We are all loved unconditionally by our Heavenly Father, and He is always there if we just open our hearts.
Article by Johanna Hicks, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, Family & Community Health Agent