It’s baaaaack! After being cancelled last year due to the pandemic, the 2021 Youth Skills Camp is coming back face-to-face. We have a great line-up of activities for the youth. But first, a bit of explanation is due for those who are unfamiliar with Skills Camp. For several years, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and the Hopkins County Community Health/Wellness Alliance offered “Kids’ Camp: Fun, Food, Fitness” for students who had completed grades 1 thru 4. (We how partner with the SSISD Summer Day Camp program.) Numerous students attended until they ‘aged out.’ In order to keep the momentum going, we developed Skills Camp for students who had completed grades 5 and 6.
Skills camp is exactly that – usable, viable skills that can be used in everyday life. In 2020, we offered grab-and-go kits to complete at home. This year, we will hold the camp face-to-face. After brainstorming with committee members and reviewing feedback from past Skills Camps, three topics were selected. The 2021 camp will offer some topics that have never been provided, and some of the sessions will be a bit more in-depth. Here are the details:
- What: 2021 Skills Camp
- Who: Hopkins County students going in to grade 6 & 7
- When: July 19, 20, 21
- Where: Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service – Hopkins County office, 1200 W. Houston, Sulphur Springs
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- Cost: no charge this year
Topics for the camp will be:
- Fun with Foods: campers will learn about food safety (cross-contamination, hand hygiene, etc.), measuring dry and liquid ingredients, how to use an oven and microwave, reading and following a recipe, and more. They will prepare a main dish side dish, salad, and dessert and will get to eat what they prepare. Master Wellness Volunteers will assist me in leading this session.
- Public Speaking/ Impromptu Speaking: campers will work in groups to participate in these activities and learn to think creatively
- Horticulture: Hopkins County Master Gardeners have some great hands-on activities to teach the youth about various topics. Great give-aways will be presented.
To sign up, please contact the Extension Office at 903-885-3443. Please note that participation is limited to the first 15 students.
2021 Arts & Crafts Show
These two events are in the books for October 22 and 23, 2021. Letters to previous Hopkins County Fall Festival Arts & Crafts Show vendors will go out later in July. This should be a great year! People are getting out and doing more, and they are ready for fall! The Arts & Crafts Show is for non-commercial exhibitors to sell hand-made items. This is one of my favorite events of the year! There are so many talented, creative artisans and they have one-of-a-kind items that make great gifts for yourself or others. If you would like to be added to the vendor list, please contact the Extension Office at 903-885-3443 and we’ll send you the information.
The Arts & Crafts Show will take place in the Sulphur Springs High School cafeteria and north entrance on Friday, October 22 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday, October 23 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter, but bring your wallet! You won’t be able to resist the unique items for sale!
There is joy in the journey when you journey with Jesus – Jill Lowry