Sulphur Springs High School senior Travis Pundt and junior Callie Harvey are among the record 109 aspiring artists from a best-ever 20 regional schools who will have their first opportunity for a full museum exhibition with the Tyler Museum of Art’s 15th Annual High School Art Exhibition, opening Sunday, March 31 and continuing through May 5 at the Museum, 1300 S. Mahon Ave. on the Tyler Junior College main campus. Admission is free.
Pundt is the son of Sandra Pundt of Sulphur Springs. Under the instruction of Dr. Philip K. Dick, he submitted his acrylic-mixed media portrait titled Father into the juried competition and will be eligible for one of four “Merit of Honor” awards as determined by the judging panel, to be presented during the exhibition’s Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony from 2:30-4 p.m. Sunday, March 31 at the Museum.
Ms. Harvey, daughter of Paul and Jill Harvey of Sulphur Springs and also under the instruction of Dr. Dick, entered her acrylic painting Lucky Luke out of competition in the exhibition’s special “Up & Coming” category.
The community is invited on March 31 to meet the participating artists, enjoy light refreshments – and cast their votes for the annual Viewers’ Choice Award to be presented at the exhibition’s conclusion. Ballots are available at the Visitor Services desk in the TMA lobby. “Merit of Honor” winners will receive gift certificates from Dick Blick Art Materials. All participating artists will receive Certificates of Participation and one-year student memberships to the TMA. To RSVP for the March 31 opening reception, call (903) 595-1001.
The 15th Annual High School Art Exhibition is presented by The Ralph & Mary John Spence Exhibition Fund, established in 2016 during the TMA’s 45th Anniversary celebration in memory of two of the Museum’s founding benefactors. The program also is supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. Additional support is provided by Collectors’ Circle-Platinum Sponsor The Robert M. Rogers Foundation, Collectors’ Circle-Gold Sponsors Martha and Randy Key, and Community Partner Sponsors Hibbs-Hallmark & Company Insurance and Southside Bank.
Additional students participating in the 15th Annual High School Art Exhibition:
• All-Saints Episcopal School (Jack Delaney, instructor): Donna Schell, Ellie Walker
- Bishop T.K. Gorman Regional Catholic School (Lisa McGehee, instructor): Andrea Azzi, Keldon Bowie, Caroline Cruz, Maria Danly, Xiaojin Feng, Shelbi Jarrett, Ann-Elizabeth Knight, Caroline Laine, Monica Lujan, Emilee Perry
- The Brook Hill School (Suzanne Shelton, instructor): Adam Chen, Peter Chen, Justin Powell, Russell Richardson
• Brownsboro High School (Morgan Ward, instructor): Aniah Anderson, Aimee Hance
• Bullard High School (Melissa Starkweather, instructor): Hunter Crawford, Jordan Miears, Sara Powell
• Chisum High School – Paris (Mary Golden-Musick, instructor): Erin Cass, Alissa Hutto, Kenna Leddick, Sarah Morales, Jada Rogers
• Cumberland Academy (April Schodowski, instructor): Christopher Alvarez, Ellie Fish, Quenton Harvey, Christian Haskell, Joshua Kriechbaum, Isabel Neuenschwander, Emma Rambin, Rebecca Rusley, Carlie Sessions
• Elkhart High School (Kathy Marlowe, instructor): Janna Ballew, Madi Burns, Maggie Estrada, Makenzie Marie, Amanda Minter, Mercy O’Neal, Kim Rice, Ja’Kendrick Stephens, Makayla Walker, Tara Whittenburg
• Frankston High School (Elizabeth Lade, instructor): Bailee Norflett
• Jacksonville High School (Cassie Bayless, instructor): Alejandro Barragan, Leonardo Barragan, Michael Botello, Jorge Castro, Noelia Diaz, Bradly Garner, Juan Guenero, Christian Juarez, Alexis Kelly, Keimyra King, Jachob Knight, Erick Martinez, Carina Rojas, Nathaniel Santos, Natalie Silva, Omar Tauera, George Torres Jr.
• John Tyler High School (Norma McClung, instructor): Juan Pablo Alvarez, Andrew Hale, Maria Hernandez, Alexandra Patino
• Kilgore High School (Holly Harper, instructor): Jorge Baldazo, Rori Bigos, Hailey Brown, Kiya Canterbery, Terriah Dunn, Saidie Hamblen, Karla Skeeters, Sarahi Vallejo, Jasmine Wheat, Irelyn Williams
• Nacogdoches High School (Karline Higgins, instructor): Wesley Gipson
• Robert E. Lee High School (Linda Keane and Melinda Tefteller, instructors): Katie Brown, Jack Cagle, Sydney Kerley, Jaden Maresch, Gracie McCaskill, Jared McLean, Josue Esquivel Mondragon, Aveanne Tugano, Alexandra White, Stephanie White, Kathryn Wright, Caden Zips
• Sabine High School – Gladewater (Jennifer Davis, instructor): Alyssa Reaves
• Troup High School (DeeAnn Berryhill, instructor): Zac Deramee, Sydney Garrett
• Westwood High School – Palestine (Adam Phifer, instructor): Abigail Castillo, Heather K. Kelly, Destiny Scurlock, Litzy Turrubiartes, Jacob Tyer
• Whitehouse High School (Christine Killian, instructor): Perri Marshall, Claire Reuland, Sara Rodriguez
• Winona High School (Chauncy Williams, instructor): Xavier Branch, Julissa Guray, Tania Hernandez, Ed Jimenez, Jasmine Ramos, Brittany Tate
The Tyler Museum of Art is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and a participant in the North American Reciprocal Museum Association (NARM), which allows TMA members to receive free or discount admission at hundreds of additional museums throughout the U.S. and Canada. For a complete list of participating NARM institutions, visit http://narmassociation.org. Regular TMA hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday; the Museum is closed Mondays and most major holidays. The TMA is supported by its Members, Tyler Junior College and the City of Tyler. For more information, call (903) 595-1001 or visit www.tylermuseum.org.