Thanks to generous donations, Hopkins County United Way was able to present an excess allocation payment on Sept. 28 to Community Chest Food Pantry in Sulphur Springs. The check, for $16,197.54, was raised during the very successful 2019-2020 Hopkins County United Way Campaign, according to president Mike Horne.
Community Chest, located at 217 Linda Drive in Sulphur Springs, serves 80-100 families a day from Hopkins County and gave out 500,000 pounds of food over the last 12 months, according to executive director Heather White.
An excess donation for an organization in need from last year’s campaign is not uncommon, as the campaign from 2019-2020 was so successful. In total, excess payments from 2019-2020 have amounted to $33,729.01 under the direction of co-chairs Beverly and Bill Owens, according to the group.
United Way contributed the bulk of their 2019-2020 fundraising donations to 18 different charities. The charities and amounts given are listed below.
- TEEN COURT- $4,000
- THE DINNER BELL-$4,000
- SULPHUR SPRINGS SYMPHONY LEAGUE- $1,000
- SAFE-T (Shelter Agencies for Families in East Texas)-$4,000
- SHADOW RANCH THERAPEUTIC RIDING CENTER- $4,000
- NETCAC (Northeast Texas Child Advocacy Center, Inc.)- $3,500
- MEAL-A-DAY OF SULPHUR SPRINGS- $8,000
- LAKES REGIONAL COMMUNITY CENTER ON BEHALF OF ‘OUR PLACE’-$4,000
- LAKE COUNTRY CASA-$10,000
- HERITAGE CHRISTIAN COUNSELING CENTER-$8,000
- ETCADA (East Texas Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse)- $1,500
- HOPKINS COUNTY COMMUNITY CHEST- $40,000
- CANHELP- $18,250
- HOPKINS COUNTY CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE ON BEHALF OF COMMUNITY CUPBOARD- $7,000
- BRIGHT STAR BASEBALL- $1,000
- BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, CIRCLE TEN COUNCIL- $1,500
- HOPKINS COUNTY 4-H- $2,000
- JEHOVAH JIREH FOOD PANTRY- $3,000
For more information on Hopkins County United way, call 903-243-4066 or visit https://www.unitedway.org/local/united-states/texas/hopkins-county-united-way