Even though smaller in the number of entries than previous years, enthusiasm was high for the 2020 Fall Festival Creative Arts Contest, held in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center, October 23 & 24. Safety procedures were put into place and everyone cooperated very well. There were 15 children’s division entries, 70 youth entries, 33 adult entries, and 7 older adult entries for a total of 125.
Best of Show winners were selected in each division from among the blue ribbon winners. In some instances, Reserve Best of Show were also awarded if the top two entries were close. Best of Show winners are:
- Art: Serenity Giles, children’s division; Summer Gilbreath, Youth division
- Creative Crafts: Jayci McClung, children’s division; Sue Bratton, adult division
- Decorated Cakes: Jada Wade, Luz Correa, youth division, Best of Show; Decee Lydia, Bailey Hannah, youth division, Reserve Best of Show; Barbara Palmer, Adult division
- Food Preservation: Jo Alice McCue, adult division
- Handiwork: Ava Bessonett, children’s division, Best of Show; Johni McClung, children’s division, Reserve Best of Show; Joan Brennan, Adult division, Best of Show; Roelie Vellenga, adult division, Reserve Best of Show
- Holiday Corner: Johni McClung, children’s division; Rylie, Carroll, Youth division
- Horticulture: Titus Bessonett, Children’s division; Kirk Brown, Youth division; Wendy Johnson, adult division
- Photography: Johni McClung, children’s division; Kirk Brown, youth division; Kim Beck, adult division
- Quilts: Penelope Deterding, youth division; Mary Ballard, adult division
- Woodworking: Charles Husbands, older adult division
All entries were judged by out-of-county trained volunteer judges. Appreciation is expressed to everyone who visited the Creative Arts Contest. For information on how to enter, categories, and age divisions, contact Johanna Hicks at the Hopkins County Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office, 903-885-3443.