2020 Creative Arts Contest
Excitement is building for the 2020 Creative Arts Contest and Arts & Crafts Show. Both events are scheduled to take place October 23 and 24, at the Sulphur Springs High School. Questions have been coming in about the Creative Arts Contest, so I thought it would be beneficial to provide some information and encourage Hopkins County folks to consider entering!
The Creative Arts Contest is for Hopkins County residents to showcase their talents in various categories. Items will be awarded with appropriate ribbons, followed by public viewing. All ages are encouraged to enter: Children (ages 10 and under), Youth (ages 11-19), Adult (ages 20-69), Mature Texans (ages 70 and up).
Below are the entry divisions (please note that the bake show is cancelled this year):
- Art: oil, water color, ink, rub outs, pencil, acrylic, paper tole, crayon/marker, spray paint art, chalk, misc. All entries must be suitable for hanging or display on a rack (except for children’s entries)
- Clothing: classic (tailored/detailed), after-five, children’s wear (up to size 14), everyday casual (includes pajamas), and wearable art – must have made or decorated the clothing item (decorated vests, shirt/t-shirt, jacket)
- Creative Crafts: Crafts (candles, plastics, metal, leather); ceramics; stained glass (cut and leaded or soldered); painted household accessories (birdhouses, wall accessories); Miscellaneous (glass, mosaics, paper mach, collage, scrap art)
- Decorated Cakes (will not be cut): judged on workmanship, difficulty, appearance, and originality. All items will be discarded if not picked up at the conclusion of the show.
- Food Preservation: all items must be in official canning jars. Foods processed in mayonnaise jars, pickle jars, etc. will not be judges. Items will not be opened, but a two-part lid must be used for judging purposes. Foods must have been canned September, 2019 to October 2020. Entry divisions are: canned vegetables; canned fruits; jams; preserves; butters (apple, pear, peach, plum); jellies; pickles (preserved in a brine or vinegar solution); relish; pickled vegetables (okra, beets, peppers, etc.); dehydrated foods; miscellaneous (honey, fruit/tomato juice, mincemeat, canned meats, flavored vinegars)
- Handiwork: knit; crochet; embroidery; needlepoint; sewn items; beadwork; jewelry; other fabric/fiber work – string art, latch-hook, macramé, weaving, etc.)
- Horticulture: No artificial plants allowed. Entries must have been in exhibitor’s possession at least 3 months prior to the fair. Exhibitor is responsible for upkeep of the entry during the fair. Entry categories include: Agriculture (fruits, vegetables, nuts, acorns); cut flowers; potted plants; hanging baskets; succulents; dried (arrangements, potpourri, wreaths, swags); gourds; herbs
- Photography: Entries should be appropriate mounted or framed and suitable for hanging on exhibiting on a stand. Color and black/white will be accepted in the following categories: portrait, scenic, still life, people, special effects, floral, architectural, grouping/collage.
- Quilts: hand-quilted, machine quilted, combination (hand and machine – embroidery, applique, etc.); baby quilts; quilted items (pillows, table runners, wall hangings)
- Woodworking: kits, inlaid wood, mosaics (using different woods for color), furniture, wall hanging/crosses, wood carvings, yard art, rustic arts, birdhouses, toys
- Nursing home: items entered by residents or Assisted Living facilities and nursing homes will include many of the above categories, but will be judged separately
Registration of items will begin on Thursday, October 22, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. in the Sulphur Springs High School Conference Center and continue Friday, October 23 from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Items will be judged at 10:15 a.m. and opened for public viewing Friday afternoon, and Saturday, October 24 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Pictures will not be taken of winners, but all winning entries will announced in mass media. Due to COVIC-19 and to avoid crowded conditions, pick up time for entries will be expanded to 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. on October 24.
For a detailed description of all entry categories, feel free to contact the Extension Office at 903-885-3443.
Arts & Crafts Show
Applications for the Arts & Crafts Show are coming in on a regular basis now, but we still have room for more! If you and someone you know would be interested in selling their hand-made, hand-crafted items, this is the perfect opportunity! This is a highlight of the Hopkins County Fall Festival, and I always find that one-of-a-kind item, perfect for gift-giving (or keeping!) Applications are available in the Extension Office, on-line at https://hopkins.agrilife.org/publications, or by calling 903-885-3443 and we can e-mail the application. No commercially made items will be accepted. This show is for home artisans. Both indoor and outdoor spaces are available.
We are looking for a group or organization to run a concession stand in the high school during these events. All proceeds go to the group or organization. Please call the Extension Office, 903-885-3443, for details.
Live as long as you can and make the best of it. Nobody gets a do-over. Tim Moffett