CROSSTOWN TRAIL – Construction has paused on this project. Everything between League Street and Coleman Lake is completed except lighting. Construction crews are now focused on Connally Street and Sunset Street. Toward the end of the Connally Street project the Crosstown Trail project will resume with the installation of sidewalks on Connally Street.
SUNSET STREET –The new sewer main has been installed, and the water main is under construction.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT – Phase 2 is well under way. All of the concrete has been poured for the two new aeration basins. Next they will be fitted with all of the diffused air piping and then connected to3 massive blowers that have already been installed. Once these basins are operational, the existing basins will be taken offline and they will be refitted with diffused aeration just like basins 1 & 2. Once all of this is completed our aeration capacity will be greatly enhanced. This is the heart of our wastewater treatment process.
CONNALLY STREET–Sewer main installation continues on this project. I expect the sewer installation to be completed this month. Construction of the new water main will follow.
PAVING PROGRAM – Texana Land & Asphalt has paved Park Springs Road and has begun on Carter Street. Asphalt doesn’t perform well if it is placed in cold weather, so the work won’t resume until later this week. That’s when Texana will finish Carter before also paving Putman Street and then pave Beasley, Cranford, and Brewer next week, weather permitting.
Once those streets are paved, CTS work will begin on Elm, Ingram, Pipeline, Peach/Georgia, Ashcroft/Town, and Hodge Streets. Then Texana will come back through and pave those streets after the CTS work is completed.
CLAIMS –We had two workers compensation claims in February. One was a fairly serious head injury from a slip & fall accident. He was treated and returned to work after 5 days of recovery. Also a police officer suffered a minor head injury during an altercation. No treatment was required, but a first report of injury was filed.
We did not have in liability claims in February, but we did file one property claim of our own. One of our dump trucks suffered damage when a pickup truck was involved in another vehicle accident and then careened into the dump truck. There were no injuries, and we submitted a property damage claim to TML.
REVENUES AND EXPENDITURES –Finance Director Lesa Smith will give a year-to-date report of revenues and expenditures.
Elsewhere around the city, employees:
- Repaired 587 potholes.
- Made 7 major street repairs following utility repairs.
- Replaced 8 stop signs, 4 no parking signs, and 4 speed limit signs.
- Tore down and removed a burned house on 7th street and another on Atkins Street.
- Repaired 226 feet of Teer Street.
- Replaced 100 feet of curb & gutter in Ingram Street.
- Replaced the valley gutter on Texas Street at Beasley.
- Responded to 195 fire/rescue calls including 1 structure fire.
- Performed 53 fire inspections and reviewed 53 pre-fire plans.
- Performed preventative maintenance on 16 fire hydrants.
- Installed a new air return duct inside city council chambers to improve efficiency.
- Relocated school zone lights.
- Achieved a daily average total suspended solids reading of 1.66 mg/L at the wastewater treatment plant, far below our permitted limit of 15 mg/L.
- Repaired 5 water mains and 9 sewer mains.
- Unstopped 42 sewer mains.
- Washed 70,000 of sewer mains.
- Installed 19 new sewer service lines and 2 manholes.
- Opened the Lake Sulphur Springs flood gates due to rainfall.
- Flushed 35 dead end water mains.
- Performed preventative maintenance on numerous water treatment apparatuses.
- Treated 115 million gallons of potable water.
- Checked out 3,058 items from the library and checked out an additional 735 eBooks.
- Sold 1,552 gallons of AvGas and 6,260 gallons of JetA fuel.
- Began preparing athletic fields for the coming season.
- Boom-shredded Peavine Pinion Pond.
- Conducted 28 building inspections, 21 electrical inspections, 16 plumbing inspections, 5 mechanical inspections and issued 28 building permits.
- Responded to 2,387 calls for police patrol division.
- Made 83 arrests, recorded 53 offences, wrote 567 citations and responded to 48 accidents in the patrol division.
- Made 9 arrests in the special crimes unit.
- Responded to 167 animal control calls and achieved a 62% adoption rate at the shelter.