Last week, I told you about the Hopkins County Fall Festival Creative Arts Contest, with promises to tell you about the Arts & Crafts Show this week. Each year, a major attraction for the Fall Festival is the Arts & Crafts Show. If you have not visited this event, make a point to go this year!
The Arts & Crafts Show is for artisans of all kinds to sell their hand-crafted items. The event will be in the Sulphur Springs High School Cafeteria and north entryway, on Friday and Saturday, October 27 and 28. Applications went out to previous vendors in June, and we have had a fantastic response. However, we still have room for more! There are a few guidelines to follow:
1) This show is for hand-crafted/handmade items only. Commercially made items will not be accepted. Commercial vendors may contact Tracy Dennis for exhibit space in the Civic Center.
2) Applications are available at the Extension Office, on the Hopkins County Fall Festival website, and at https://hopkins.agrilife.org(click on ‘publications’). I can also e-mail the application to anyone who is interested.
3) No questionable items may be sold. This is a family event.
4) You will need to provide your own display equipment, tables, and chairs.
5) Each exhibitor is limited to one double space (16’ x 8’ or two single spaces 8’X8’). Spaces will be marked with your name.
6) Electrical outlets are limited. We will do our best to accommodate your need, if indicated on the registration form. You must provide your own extension cords and tape to secure them to the floor.
7) Covered outdoor spaces are available in a limited quantity. Uncovered spaces are also available, but we recommend that you bring a canopy. Spaces will be marked with your name.
8) Set up hours are Friday, October 27, 7:30 to 10:00 a.m.
9) Arts & Crafts Show hours are: Friday, October 27, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, October 28, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. No early pack-up unless cleared with the coordinator.
10) Vendors exhibiting for only one day will be assigned an outdoor space. Contact our office for single day fee information.
11) A confirmation letter, including directions to the high school, unloading, and parking information will be sent to exhibitors after receipt of registration and payment.
That’s it! As I mentioned, this is one of the highlights of the Fall Festival.
Here’s a sampling of things you will find in this year’s Arts & Crafts Show: seasonal wood décor; custom decorated t-shirts; wind chimes; costume jewelry; wreaths; fall décor; jams, jellies, relishes; pottery; sterling and copper jewelry; hand-made greeting cards for all occasions; caramel popcorn; flower petal cadet caps; quilts; children’s coloring book bags; aprons; glitter tattoos; hand-painted glass blocks; soaps; decorative cake plates; wood carvings – Santa, snowmen, shepherds, birds, animals; puppets; crocheted and knitted items; hot sauce; coin banks and gun boxes made from old P. O. doors; baby items; decorative hand & kitchen towels; 18” doll items; mug rugs; wood pens, coffee grinders, and pepper mills; gift baskets; wooden bowls, benches, lamps; leather belts, gun slings, knife sheaths; repurposed bottles; glass garden art; bird feeders; wooden garden and farm house signs; stuffed animals; pillows; stuffed toys; vinyl signs; and horseshoe art.
All vendors who sell food items are required to have the Texas Food Handler’s License, available online at:https://extensiononline.tamu.edu/courses/food_safety.php
Please contact our office at 903-885-3443 if you have questions. We look forward to a great event!!
National 4-H Week
Our Hopkins County 4-H members invite you to join us on Monday, October 2, at 4:30 p.m. on the Courthouse Steps for the National 4-H Week Kick-off. Judge Robert Newsom will read the 4-H proclamation, and we’ll have refreshments. Enrollment information for 4-H will be available for any youth grade 3 thru 12. Young people are not required to have an animal. Actually, the number one project in Hopkins County and statewide is Foods & Nutrition. We also offer STEM, shooting sports, clothing and textiles, leadership, and other projects. Join us on October 2 to learn all about it!
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.