July 11, 2017
TO: CITY COUNCIL
FROM: CITY MANAGER, MARC MAXWELL
SUBJ: MANAGER’S REPORT
LOCUST STREET–The utility work (water, sewer, gas) is complete. Cement stabilization is complete and concrete work continues to progress from north to south.The concrete work is approximately 70% complete.
MOORE STREET – Utility work is nearly completed on Moore Street. The Capital Construction Division has completed the sewer improvements, and water improvements will be completed before the next city council meeting.Atmos has replaced the gas main. The contract for concrete street construction is later on the agenda.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT – Work continues at the wastewater treatment plant. The concrete work for the three large primary clarifiers is nearly completed.Total suspended solids (TSS) came in at 1.3 mg/L, well within the limit of 10 mg/L.
CLAIMS – We did not have any liability claims in June. We had one minor workers’ compensation claim for a cat bite. The police department submitted one claim to our insurer for damage to electronics resulting from a lightning strike.
REVENUES AND EXPENDITURES –Finance Director, Peter Karstenswill present a year-to-date summary of revenues and expenditures.
Elsewhere around the city, employees:
- Repaired 107 potholes.
- Made 26 extensive road repairs following utility repairs. 10 repairs were water and sewer, and 16 were Atmos.
- Repaired 4 water mains.
- Replaced 29 water meters and made 3 new water taps.
- Repaired 2 storm drains.
- Unstopped 16 sewer mains.
- Washed 85,000 feet of sewer mains.
- Flushed 35 dead end water mains.
- Treated 139 million gallons of potable water.
- Sold 3,799 gallons of AvGas and 7,854 gallons of JetA fuel.
- Aerated and fertilized athletic fields.
- Made repairs to Highway 11 lift station.
- Made 4 felony arrests in the special crimes unit.
- Responded to 190 animal control calls and achieved an adoption rate of 55%.
- Made 55 arrests in the patrol division, wrote 532 citations, recorded 45 offences and responded to 30 accidents.
- Conducted 37 building inspections, 36 electrical inspections, 27 plumbing inspections, 6 mechanical inspections, and issued 32 building permits.
- Responded to 100 fire/rescue calls including 1 structure fire.
- Conducted 56 fire inspections.
- Maintained 84 fire hydrants.
- Kicked off the summer reading program at the library.
- Checked out 2,752 materials and 308 e-books from the library.