SUNSET STREET – The Capital Construction Division is back at work on Sunset Street. We have changed the profile of the lay-down curbs to a gentler transition. This is a grant funded project through the Community Development Block Grant program.
CONNALLY STREET – The contractor, 5W Contracting, has begun construction on Connally Street. The Capital Construction Division will
construct the intersections, while 5W will construct the street segments in between.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT – The new aerators are working very well at the wastewater treatment plant. We are seeing fantastic numbers. The contractor, Gracon, has begun refitting the old aerator basins with the new diffused-aeration systems.
CLAIMS – We had two minor workers compensation claims in August, one for minor burns and one for a strained shoulder. We had one liability claim in August; one of our employees backed a dump truck into a parked car.
REVENUES AND EXPENDITURES – Finance Director Lesa Smith will not give a year-to-date report of revenues and expenditures but will have a report for the Street Maintenance Fee.
Elsewhere around the city, employees:
• Made 10 street repairs following utility repairs.
• Repaired 27 potholes.
• Repaired 1 pothole caused by a lightning strike.
• Installed speed limit signs and dead-end signs.
• Removed 3 trees from the road.
• Responded to 176 fire/rescue calls including 3 structure fires.
• Conducted 91 fire inspections and reviewed 91 pre-fire plans.
• Performed preventative maintenance on 76 fire hydrants.
• Issued 25 weed tickets.
• Conducted 31 building inspections, 32 electrical inspections, 22 plumbing
inspections, 4 mechanical inspections and issued 22 building permits.
• Installed a new fence at the wastewater treatment plant.
• Achieved a daily average total suspended solids (tss) reading of .53 mg/L at the wastewater treatment plant. The limit is 12 mg/L.
• Responded to 187 animal control calls.
• Achieved a 41% adoption rate at the animal shelter.
• Made 8 felony arrests in the special crimes’ unit.
• Responded to 2,474 calls for police, worked 42 accidents, made 94 arrests, wrote 597 traffic citations, and recorded 73 offenses in the Patrol Division.
• Hosted a softball World Series (36 teams).
• Replaced the water cannon at the splash pad at Pacific Park.
• Repaired 19 water mains and replaced 14 water meters.
• Unstopped 13 sewer mains.
• Washed 75,000 feet of sewer mains.
• Repaired a brick manhole leading to Cantex lift station.
• Flushed 36 dead-end water mains.
• Installed a new motor at Cooper Lake pump station.
• Treated 184 million gallons of potable water.
• Sold 1,760 gallons of AvGas and 11,833 gallons of JetA fuel.
• Checked out 3,401 items from the library plus 520 eBooks.